Friday, April 10, 2015

Slow roast pork shoulder

Slow roast pork with apple and poppyseed slaw and pumpkin and kumara mash fried in sage butter

One of the benefits of coming from a farm is that you have access to all sorts of free meat! Our hunters at home are constantly filling our freezer with wild pork etcetera and every time I go home for the weekend I usually pilfer something that would've cost me a bomb at the supermarket.

So after one of my usual freezer raids, I decided I was going to make my first ever slow roast pork. Yum! 

This was a lot of fun, and also educational. I love playing with flavours and a few recipes at once, and I feel I definately put my 'Penny' stamp on this meal.

Ingredients

(Serves 6)

Pork

1 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
 1 star anise
1 C chicken stock
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 beer
2 onions
1 head of garlic
1tsp chilli flakes
2 Tbsp soy sauce
finely chooped thumb ginger root
3 bay leaves
1 handful of sage

Mash

2 Kumara
1/2 pumpkin
3Tbsp butter
6 sage leaves

Slaw

1/2 red cabbage
1/4 green cabbage
1 granny smith apple
1 handful of coriander
1 grated carrot
1 handful of parsley
1/2 red onion

Dressing

1/2 C apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp poppy seeds
3 cloves of minced garlic
Pepper & salt
2 Tbsp Aioli

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 150C on bake. Put your scoured pork (rubbed in oil crushed garlic pepper and salt and place) in a roasting dish preheated on the stove top an sear all sides of the shoulder till golden. Remove and add all ingredients to the dish cover with tinfoil and put in the oven for 3 hours. Remove the tinfoil and turn the oven up to 200C and cook till crispy and golden.

Meanwhile....

Peel and de skin your pumpkin and kumara, chop into cubes and boil till soft. Mash with butter and soy milk and roll into big balls. Lesson - I should have added some flour to these as they didn't stick together very well.  In a deep fry pan or wok heat your butter and sage till bubbling then add your balls and fry until crisp and golden.

Mix/toss in a large bowl your finely chopped cabbage, thinly sliced apple (looks like match sticks), grated carrot, chopped red onion, and finely chopped coriander and parsley. In a jar combine your dressing ingredients and shake then pour over the slaw and toss again.

Carve the pork and serve on a platter and Voila! 


No comments:

Post a Comment